Sunday, December 13, 2009

Weekly Discussion Topic

Alright so to spice up my blog I figured I would start adding discussion topics to see what all you guys think. So make sure to check in with me every week to write what you think about the topic. The way you can write your opinion is through commenting on the post. I will usually add my opinion at the end of the week.



This weeks topic: Which aircraft is the better kind to fly and train in, A High wing aircraft or a Low wing aircraft?

Until Next Time,
Ian

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am thinking high wing is the more traditional because of their predictable and stable flight characteristics.

5400AirportRdSouth said...

I did my training on the PA28 as well as the C172. Mostly the C172, but I wished I did more on the piper. Wasn't certified for spins though, so I had to focus on the C172.

I'd recommend to anyone that they do as much as they can on as many different types as they can.

I didn't find either aircraft to be any BETTER than the other, but they each had different flight characteristics. The piper seemed easier to "grease" it on, possibly due to the lower wing being in ground effect sooner. The cessna however, was better for ground reference stuff, as the view below was a lot better.

I did lean towards the piper in my personal preference, but that was more due aesthetics and comfort, both in the cockpit and outside, than anything else.

( oh, and the piper was shunned by a lot of the other students, going instead for the C172. Freeing it up for yours truly!! )

Eventually, though, if your going commercial, you'll be faced with the task of learning a new aircraft. Possibly in a very short period of time.

Developing some good habits in regards to studying the POH's for pertinent details and being able to pick out the important speeds, memory items, etc, can only help you down the road.

Oh, and its fun!! Thats why we're doing this right?